Importance of Supervised Drug Detox
Ever wondered what supervised detox means or involves? The post will address the process and what is associated with supervised drug detox. Detoxification is an essential first step in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.
Medical detox is a prior engagement to the actual rehabilitation. Supervised detoxification is used in conjunction with medication to make the process more comfortable. Medical detox facilities https://www.gallusdetox.com/ hire on-site doctors and nurses to monitor recovering addicts.
Key Take-Away concerning Supervised drug detox
Supervised drug detox is imperative, especially when dealing with extreme withdrawal symptoms from substances like alcohol and benzodiazepines. Drug rehabilitation centers help supervised detox programs ease side effects as the recovering patients are prepared for long-term sobriety.
Drug addiction affects both physical and mental health. Medically supervised detox can refer to a situation where clinicians monitor a recovering addict closely throughout the detoxification process. Medically assisted detoxification can be availed in treatment centers with on-site detox capabilities or in established detox centers.
Medically-supervised detox treats painful withdrawal symptoms and co-occurring conditions. Withdrawal symptoms vary depending on average dose, duration of substance abuse, mental health condition, mode of substance intake, gender, body weight, and frequency of substance intake. Upon completing a successful detox, you are ready for the next step to recovery, which entails visiting a rehabilitation center.
Benefits of monitored detoxification
- Doctors administer tapering medication to decrease the chances of experiencing adverse reactions to an abrupt end to drug use.
- Supervised detox ensures comfort and safety during the process.
- Supervised detox help you manage withdrawal symptoms to attain a drug-free life
- Undergoing supervised detox minimizes the likelihood of a relapse
- Supervised detox focuses on overall addiction recovery to living a healthy and sober life.
- Monitored detox enhances the well-managed removal of toxic substances in your body.
- On-site clinicians can easily monitor your recovery progress and suggest better therapies.
- Medical supervisors play an important role in detecting and treating drug-related medical issues.
- Professionals within the medical facilities prescribe medication to treat uncomfortable symptoms.
- Supervised detox reveals underlying health conditions suppressed by substance abuse.
What is involved in supervised drug detox?
Substance abuse detoxification can be carried out in varying ways. Medical detox centers remove addictive substances from your body while monitoring your body’s reaction. The removal breaks the body’s cycle of dependency on the substance.
The most effective and safest detox involves the use of medications prescribed by a professional doctor. Medications used during the detox process depend on the substance to which you are addicted. For instance, opioid medications fall into;
- Partial Agonists: The medications mimic some of the drug’s effects in the body at a much lower intensity. E.g., Buprenorphine
- Antagonists: The medication blocks opioids by attaching them to opioid receptors in the brain. It gets in the addictive substance’s way. E.g., Naloxone
How detox works
Depending on drug use patterns, the medical detox can last from 3- 10 days. The doctor evaluates the addict to determine the length of detox and how much medication should be used. Depending on the body’s reaction, the medical detox regimen can be altered to increase or decrease.
Blood tests are conducted to determine the progress and effectiveness of the medication. Through tests during medical detox, underlying conditions like liver dysfunction and Hepatitis C can be detected as early as possible. Thus, skipping medically assisted detox can limit the discovery of the conditions.
Most people with the urge to attain sobriety view detox as a horrible experience. Thus, avoiding the treatment process—medical detox facilities aid within the detoxification process as they amalgamate favorable treatment programs. Supervised drug detox allows you to withstand severe withdrawal symptoms experienced during the recovery process.