Signs that Your Fever is Serious
Fever is an indication shown by your body by giving a rise in the average temperature. The cause of this can be normal or severe. Above 102 degrees Celsius of temperature is something to be worried about and consulted by your doctor.
Many fevers go away within a day or two. If it keeps coming back again and again for more than seven days, you must consult a doctor as it could indicate something severe. Additionally, fever is also a common symptom of COVID-19. However, if you reside in Ham Lake fever can be cured by consulting a good doctor.
Table of Contents
What causes fever?
Fever can be caused by various reasons as follows:
- When your body catches infections like a cold or the flu. This can be treated by your local family doctor.
- Your body’s immune system reacts to foreign invaders like fungi.
- Due to infection in your throat, lungs, or kidney.
- Chronic illnesses like arthritis and cancer can also cause fever.
- If the body was in contact with a coronavirus patient or the bacterias that contain the infection in them.
Fever is not contagious by itself; however, the infection that is caused by it can result in it being contagious.
When to consider that your fever is severe?
If your fever supports the following symptoms, you must consult your doctor immediately:
- Rash that is quickly increasing.
- Continuous vomiting.
- Pain in the chest.
- Pain while urinating.
- Breathing difficulties.
- Pain in the neck while leaning forward.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Abdominal pain.
You must keep checking your body’s temperature with a proper thermometer so that you can give a reading to your doctor.
You cannot prevent having a fever; however, you can decrease your body’s exposure to infections by practicing the following tips:
- Wash your hands often.
- Carry sanitizer everywhere.
- Cover your mouth while sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or eyes.
- Remove heavy clothing from your body.
- Keep the surroundings clean.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Have a bath in lukewarm water.
When to seek immediate help?
- If the temperature of 100.4 degrees F or more is visible in three months of age or younger infants.
- If the temperature of 102.2 degrees F or more is seen in infants between 3-12 months.
- If your child has a fever that has not decreased in 2 days.
- If the temperature is higher than 103 degrees F and has been rinsing for the past two days.
In most patients, the fever goes away with regular medications by the doctor. However, if it increases, it can cause severe health drawbacks like brain damage or even death.
Therefore, you must examine your body’s needs and seek immediate help if you experience the symptoms mentioned above.