Leg pain is one of the leading causes of absenteeism in work because it limits you from moving. Therefore if you are experiencing leg pain, you are advised to seek medical help because it could be a sign of a vein disorder that requires treatment. That is why El Paso Desert West Vein & Surgery Center providers treat the cause of your leg pain, thus reducing your risk of complications. Doing so also helps in restoring your overall quality of life.
What causes leg pain?
At times when you begin experiencing leg pain, it could be a sign of an underlying vascular condition. Some of the common causes of leg pain, which can be severe, are;
- Restless leg syndrome
- Superficial venous thrombosis
- Spider veins
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Varicose veins
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Peripheral artery disease
- Leg wounds
- Open sores
Other than experiencing pain in certain parts of your leg, you might also experience swelling, burning, skin discoloration, cramping, fatigue, visible vein changes, or itching.
How does your provider diagnose the cause of leg pain?
The health care team will review your medical history and symptoms to find out if a vein disorder might be the cause of your leg pain. They also examine your veins and legs. An ultrasound may be recommended by your doctor to help determine blood circulation in your legs. During the ultrasound, the care provider usually places a transducer (signal detector) on the skin of the affected veins.
What are some of the leg pain treatment options available?
To effectively treat and manage varicose veins and other associated vein disorders that might cause your leg pain, the care provider may recommend treatments like lifestyle changes. Typically making some lifestyle changes may help reduce some of the vein disorders that are maybe causing leg pain. Some lifestyle changes include not standing or sitting for long periods, weight loss, elevating your legs, wearing compression stockings, and regular exercise. Other forms of treatment include:
- Medications may also be recommended to help in the treatment of infections and other vein disorders. They can also be given to help prevent the formation of blood clots in veins.
- Sclerotherapy, which involves the injection of a unique solution into the varicose or spider veins, can also be given to make them disappear. Even though the sclerotherapy procedure is simple, it can eliminate leg discomfort, reduce your risk of complications and boost your confidence.
- Radiofrequency ablation is another treatment option, given that it involves placing a tiny catheter in a diseased vein using high-frequency radio waves to close off and target unhealthy veins. It also minimizes the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Venaseal uses medical adhesive to eliminate varicose veins and other vascular concerns. The specialist places a tiny catheter in the affected vein to permanently close the vein and deliver adhesive. Therefore blood reroutes to other healthier veins in your legs, thus reducing pain and discomfort.
Some surgical procedures might also be performed to eliminate or remove diseased veins, thus reducing your risk of developing some complications.
In summary, it is essential to consult a specialist at Desert West Vein & Surgery Center when you begin experiencing the first signs of leg pain to prevent complications.